Monday, February 2, 2009

Sleeping Issues

So while my mom was out here, she decided that she would buy a toddler bed for Grace, since they had also bought Gwen's toddler bed. Grace has taken to it really well-she never had a problem switching from the crib to her bed. However, it didn't help the issue of her wanting to sleep with us in our bed all the time. She is still spending most of the night curled up between Robbie and I. It's a bit of a pain, but we are trying to work on it.

We've noticed something strange since getting Grace's toddler bed though. Gwen likes to sleep in Grace's bed and not in her own. There have been countless times since my mom left where we have gone to lay Grace down and Gwen is asleep in Grace's bed. We've asked her why she can't sleep in her own bed and she says that it's too scary. So, we are going to try switching beds and letting Gwen sleep where Grace is right now and let Grace sleep in Gwen's old spot (which she's already done on a few occasions and not seemed to mind). The past two nights though we've found this:
We don't know what Gwen's problem is, but even if Grace is in her bed, Gwen still seems to have to sleep in that bed and climbs in with her. Hopefully switching spots will fix that since last night Gwen woke Grace up climbing into bed with her and we were up with Grace until close to midnight.

Even the baby is having some sort of sleep issue. She's been keeping to a pretty good routine as to when she wakes up and eats (every 4 hours, starting at 6 every morning). Don't know how she got on it, but it works well for me and I have no complaints-she's been such an easy baby!! However, when it comes to her 6 pm feeding, she decides that she has to stay up for 2-3 hours before she'll sleep. So I have now taken to sleeping on the couch from about 8 at night till she wants to eat again at 10. We can't figure out why she likes to stay up right when we are ready to go to bed, but I joked with Rob that she does it because it's the only cuddle time she can get alone with us. Oh, and we've been taking pictures of her for her birth announcement and this one turned out really good-she was wide awake without needing to eat and not screaming because she was tired. We'll see if the blue eyes keep (Grace had blue eyes until close to a year old, then they changed to hazel).

3 comments:

The Heiner's said...

I'm sorry you've been having a hard time with Gracie!!! Maybe you should let the girls sleep together...Maybe Gracie just needs some company!!!
Any way I'll try and give you a call tomorrow sorry i've been so lame-o!

Kim Hodges said...

Reading your blog makes me tired. I know how it is to have lack of sleep and trying to keep up with your kids. But to have three, you are amazing and I know you will be blessed. I am sorry that you had to take all 3 girls on errands. You can call me, if you want me to watch two of them. Ethan loves playmates. Sorry we haven't been by, the kids and I have been sick. I will give you a call sometime.

Marj said...

I think Gwen & Grace just like to sleep with someone else. It seems likely that they will get used to just sleeping together - and maybe stay out of your bed a bit more. When they are ready - they will find their way to their own beds. Lot's of kids grow up sharing sleeping spaces. There's probably a sense of comfort in it.