Monday, March 8, 2010

Afghanistan

If you have me as a friend on facebook, you've probably already seen this.

Last night, my 21 year old brother Jake boarded a plane and took off for Afghanistan. He has been in Indiana for the last two months, receiving some training before being deployed overseas. He has told us that he is going into the thick of things, but won't give us any more details because he says it's dangerous and doesn't want us to worry anymore than we'll already be worrying. But seriously, that makes me worry more anyways.

So to all my good friends, if you can, please keep my brother in your prayers. Please pray, like we will, that he will return home safely next year. Please pray that he comes home whole-no serious injuries or loss of limbs. Please pray that fighting and killing in a war that we've been in for 7 years doesn't have any serious psychological effects on him.

Jake and Matt, we love you so much!! Gwen has asked quite a lot lately why you two are not around any more. It's easy to explain where Matt is, and his reasons for being there, but hard to tell her that you two don't live here anymore, and harder still to explain to her the reason why you're gone Jake...how do you tell a 4 year old that their Uncle Jake is off fighting in a war, and then try to explain war to them? Gwen just knows that you've gone somewhere far and she constantly tells us that she wishes Uncle Jake and Uncle Matt where here, and we agree. We all sure miss you and love you two. I think about you two a lot (I know I know...doesn't seem it, the way I've kept in touch lately, huh?) and I sure love you both. I am so proud of both of you.

Jake and Matt-you have grown into amazing men. I can remember playing Power Rangers with you, or playing in the Bat Man Car shaped tent, or just hanging out. Jake, do you remember the summer right after Pageant, where we went to the dollar store and bought little kids cowboy hats and pop guns and went around the house, having a shoot out? Matt, I remember all the time we spent talking and growing closer as we drove down to Rutland when I was dating/engaged to Robbie...do you? I love both of you so much...you are great friends and amazing brothers.

Matt...continue being the amazing missionary you are. I've read your weekly letters, and you are such a strong person. You sound so happy, and we are so happy for you. You are doing the Lord's work, doing selfless service. The girls are going to learn about China this week...and we'll even touch on where you are a little. : ) Stay positive, keep praying...we'll keep praying for you. Sure love you Matchoo Magoo.

Jake...keep your head down; stay safe. I've always wondered if I would have the courage to do what you're doing, and I don't think I could. The girls are doing to be learning about Afghanistan this week as well...but I don't think we'll touch on the war. : ) You are so brave and courageous to go off to war, but also for the reasons that you've shared with our family. Don't forget though to think about yourself as well as others over there, and come home safe. Sure love you Strawberry Shake.

Miss you guys so much!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet Sarah! I can't even imagine how hard it is for you guys to have both Jake and Matt gone. I have kept both of them and you guys as well in my prayers. It's nice to read how proud you are of your brothers and how much you love and miss them. They will be back before you know it, and everything will be okay. :) I miss you a lot and can't wait to see you soon.