So back in March I wrote a post about my younger brother getting deployed to Afghanistan. He's been there for a while now, going on missions and even defending his base from a attack in the middle of the night. We've been praying for his safety and hoping each day that it'll be another day closer to coming home-without any incidents.
Well...this morning started out awful (with Grace taking off her diaper and peeing on the floor) but I did not expect it to get any worse. And then-my mom tells me she got a phone call at 12:30 am (9 am in Afghanistan) from my very drugged up brother Jake. He and his unit had been out on patrol last night, driving an older army truck. They hit an IED bomb (a bomb that was burried in the road by the Taliban) and my brother was hurt. He is the gunner in the truck, and because of that it may have saved him from more serious injuries. The worst of the injuries he sustained-both of his legs are broken. He had to have rods put into his legs to help them heal right. We don't have much more information about him...just that he is in the ICU now and they are keeping an eye on his condition.
I broke down when I heard this. I have been crying on and off all day, thinking of the pain he had to go through and wishing I could take it away from him. Oh how I wish I could take it all the pain and awfulness of war away from him, or at least be there to help him through his recovery. At the same time though, I am so thankful that the Lord was watching over him and kept him from any further harm. I am so grateful that he did not receive more serious injuries. I know that the Lord loves him and has watched out for him so many times, and I am so grateful to know that my brother is still under the Lord's watchful and caring eyes. On the plus side (if you can get any pluses out of this) is that while he may be in hospitals for a while, and it'll take a long time for him to recover, he will be out of the war and hopefully not have to go back.
So thank you Jake, for the service you have given to our country. Thank you to the men who were with you, and the men who served with you at your base and the men who are still fighting this battle. Thank you to the families who are loving and supporting their men and women here at home while they are off risking their lives, fighting for something so important. Most importantly, I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for watching over my brother and bringing him back home. My prayers continue to go to the men and women and families who are still involved in the conflict over there and the job of those over here who are supporting their loved ones over there, and to those who are suffering losses and injuries from the many other attacks that are continuing to happen.
I sure love you Shake, and I am so proud of you and what you believe in and what you are fighting for. Fight hard to heal fast, so that you can come home and finish your recovery with us. Love you so much buddy!!
Snowy Days
3 years ago
3 comments:
=( Its hard to hear things like this always. I will pray for your brothers recovery. Especially hard is hearing it when my husband will be joining the Navy in a matter of months. Thank you for sacrificing as your brother serves our country!
I'm so SORRY. You are in my prayers. I hope everything turns out ok. Keep hanging in there!
Mylia
Sarah, I'm so sorry! Your family and brother will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you guys are able to get more updates on his condition soon!
Post a Comment