Monday, December 13, 2010

Pumpkin Picking &Super Hero Halloween

The girls really looked forward to Halloween this year. We didn't get to go to a pumpkin field to pick our own pumpkins at my parents house, so Rob's mom took the girls and I to a field on our way down to her house for a visit one weekend. The girls got to go out in this huge field and pick out their own pumpkins.

Georgia picked her pumpkin fast. It was pretty much a look this is the first pumpkin I found and it's mine sort of thing. Course, after she picked her pumpkin, she kept finding other ones to take home as well. She had lots of fun running around in the field and kept saying "puhkin momma."



Grace didn't have a hard time finding a pumpkin either. About 5 minutes after we got there and had looked around, Grace found a pumpkin that she really liked. She stuck with that pumpkin the whole time we were there...she never wanted to switch pumpkins and never found another one that she liked.


Gwen had such a hard time finding a pumpkin. We would find a good one and show it to her, but she would say it wasn't the one and that she had to keep looking. I think she just liked pulling the wagon along and didn't want to stop. At one point I stayed with the wagon so she could go look all over the pumpkin field with Grandma Congdon for her pumpkin. Still didn't find one. She came back and we convinced her to get one of the pumpkins we had shown her before.


After we finally got each girl to pick out a pumpkin, we had them stand by the wagon for a picture. Don't know if they are standing in front of their pumpkin, but the older two remembered whose pumpkin was whose when we got back to Grandma Congdons. We carved the pumpkins a couple days later when Rob was there to help (and we could have baths afterwards).

Georgia loved helping push the wagon all over the place. Grace finally came over right after I took this picture and helped push the pumpkins over to the car. They had so much fun picking pumpkins from a field.
We spent Halloween at my parents house. We went to a local farmers market to get pumpkins, and they had already picked all the pumpkins out of the field, so we just went through the pumpkins they had and had the girls pick some out. I even got some pie pumpkins to make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving...yuuummm. We carved the pumpkins the day before Halloween. Gwen helped me with Georgia's after she lost interest, and then Rob helped her carve her own pumpkin. Gwen actually drew the face on her pumpkin and had Rob cut what she drew...her pumpkin even had a beard!

Rob helped Grace carve her pumpkin as well. Grace helped give Rob ideas for what shapes she wanted for eyes, nose and mouth, and even helped him carve the pieces out some.

Georgia was only interested in taking the goop out of the pumpkin. Once we were done doing that with her pumpkin, she moved on to someone elses pumpkin and tried helping them. She came back to her pumpkin when I was carving the face out, and wanted to help carve, but I didn't really let her help. In fact, she tried helping everyone carve their pumpkin. She had so much fun.

I think this is the last year I will make the girls costumes. It was a lot of work, and really stressful. It was cheaper than buying costumes, but I'm just not sure I will do it again. The girls were all super heros, and we used old cloths or cloths we found at a second hand store to make their costumes, along with some fabric.
Gwen decided to be Wonder Woman this year. I cut out, ironed interfacing on, and sewed a lot of things onto her costume. I made her headband (drew the red star on with fabric paint), the Wonder Woman logo on her shirt, her armbands, her belt, the stars on her skirt, and her "boots" which were made out of girls tights that I cut and we slipped them on over the top of her shoes.
Grace wanted to be Batman, but we made her into Batgirl instead. I made the headband (which didn't turn out as good as I had wanted it to), the Batgirl logo on her shirt, her armbands, her belt, and her tights (which I had to dye a pair of white tights to get the yellow). My grandma made the cape for Gwen for Christmas last year (Grace got a superman cape as well).

Since the other two wanted to be superheros, we thought we'd do a family theme and make Georgia a superhero too. So we made her Hawkgirl. Sooo many people didn't know who Hawkgirl was, but Rob and I love watching Justice League and cartoons like that, so at least we knew who she was. I made her feather headband, her belt and her boots. Her costume was a bit easier because I didn't have to sew anything onto it, and I didn't have to make the wings (thank goodness).


The girls loved their costumes and had so much fun trick or treating. This was Georgia's first year trick or treating and she had a blast. They are already talking about what they are going to be next year!!

No comments: