Friday, August 2, 2013

Gracie's Nursery Rhyme Performance

There's a lot of things we like about the elementary school here in Texas.  The teachers are pretty awesome.  It's a smaller school with less students per teacher.  The curriculum is pretty good.  It's also only two blocks away from our house so we have the awesome opportunity to walk/ride bikes back and forth to school every day.
 
Another awesome thing that they do is teach the kindergarten kids just about every single nursery rhyme there is throughout the first 3/4 of the year, and then put on a performance first for the rest of the school kids and then for the parents. They get to recite one nursery rhyme and dress up like their nursery rhyme too.
 
Grace brought home a paper in early March about it, giving us a month for her to pick which nursery rhyme she would perform, and to either make or buy a costume.  It took Grace about a week to make up her mind which one she wanted to do, but she eventually decided on Little Bo Peep.  I got all excited, thinking that I would make her an awesome costume that no one else would have.
 
And then I looked for a pattern...and the only one I found was $10, as was just about every other dress pattern that would work for her costume.  Then I added in how much it would cost for fabric-even if that fabric was some clothes I found at Goodwill and ripped apart, like I usually do for Halloween costumes.  It all added up to be about the same as purchasing a costume, and because I had other things going on at the time, I decided to just purchase her costume instead.
 
Grace loved her costume though (it's Little Bo Peep from Toy Story...she wants to wear it for Halloween this year too!!) and it turns out she was the only one wearing this costume.

She was supposed to wear the costume to school on the day of the performance they were doing for all the other grades, and she was super excited because that meant she got to not only wear the costume twice, but perform twice as well.  She was so happy when I picked her up from school that day.  She said she had tons of fun at the performance that day and couldn't wait to do it again that night for us.
 
Mother Goose opened the performance for us, explaining how the program was going to work.


When the kids decided what nursery rhyme they were going to perform, we had to send in a form that stated which one they were going to do.  They then grouped the kids together that were performing the same nursery rhyme, and that group of kids all performed at once (except there were a few nursery rhymes that were so popular with the kindergarten kids that they had to do two rounds of it because there were just too many kids to do it once).
 
This was the only kindergartener who did the Itsy Bitsy Spider.  His costume was pretty awesome though.

A couple of cute little boys dressed up as mice to do Hickory Dickory Dock.

We have friends from our ward here in Texas that live two streets away from us, and they have a daughter in kindergarten too.  She dressed up like an egg and did Humpty Dumpty (she's the one in the middle).

Towards the end there were a few kids who did Twinkle Twinkle Little Star-and one of them was dressed up in a star costume, and the other boy performing with him had starts all over his shirt and top hat, and even had star shaped glasses on that lit up!!  I loved it!!


There were a lot more nursery rhymes that were performed...probably between 15-20 more.  Grace did an awesome job with hers, and then at the end, after all the nursery rhymes had been performed, they got all the kindergarten kids together and they sang some songs for us (LOVED the Goldilocks rap-it was so cute!!).  Rob did a great job filming Grace performing (and you can hear Genesis in the background...listen for the loud "AH"'s).  I couldn't have been prouder of Gracie for her bravery to get on stage and perform, and that she remembered all the words to her nursery rhyme and the songs.  She did such an awesome job!!

No comments: