Wednesday, January 9, 2013

March 2012-Gracie Cuts Her Own Hair

 
This is what Gracie's beautiful hair looked like before she decided to style her own hair.  We had gotten it trimmed from time to time when it was needed, but she had never had a big hair cut-ever.  We had let her hair grow since birth, and by March 12, 3 days before the first of MANY incidents, this is how long her hair was.
 

Right before St. Patty's Day (which I apparently didn't take pictures of the girls on...first year I have failed to do that...we'll blame it on the all-day morning sickness), Gracie came home from preschool and told me that a little boy in her class had cut her hair.  I took a look and sure enough-a loss of hair!
 


When I looked at how her hair was cut, I should have known then that she was lying about who did it, but I was not happy, so I emailed her teacher about it.  I didn't hear back from her that night or the next morning, so I talked to her the following day after school.  Her teacher hadn't known anything about it, so she and Gracie's assistant teacher investigated.  And what did they find?  My child's beautiful locks sitting in her pencil box.  When confronted with the obvious evidence of inflicting the damage to her hair herself, Gracie confessed.  Her teacher kept an extra close eye on her after that whenever they used scissors in class, and Grace promised us that she would never do it again.  Sigh...if I only knew then that this would be a recurring pattern with her (she's done it at least twice since then).
 

 
Her hair after the hair cut to try to fix things...not too much shorter, but they did take a couple of inches off, and Gracie now had some very long bangs.
 
 
Gwen was jealous that Grace was getting her hair cut, so we agreed that if she really wanted to, she could get her hair cut too.  I don't have a before picture, but her hair was down to her shoulder blades.  I was sad she was cutting her hair too, but Rob and I agreed that if she and Grace were old enough to start picking out what cloths we bought for them, then they were certainly old enough to decide what type of haircut they had, which is why Gracie had a couple inches cut off the back and didn't just get the front fixed.  They turned out really cute though, and there really wasn't a whole lot of hair that was cut off.
 
 
Of course Georgia wanted her picture taken too, even though she didn't get her hair cut, having had a recent trim herself.  This girl sure loves to dress up and pose.
 
 
Gracie didn't get punished for what she did...although we were a bit upset at first, we really just found it funny and another life story to write down in a journal and save for her to read when she gets older.  I really cherish things like this, and I can't wait to laugh over it with her.

No comments: