Thursday, January 29, 2009

Errands with 3 Kids

So this has been the 2nd Thursday in a row that I have ventured out to run errands with all 3 girls. It has been a challenge. Our car is a 2002 Nissan Exterra, and there's not a whole lot of room in the back. In fact, all three car seats are just kind of squeezed in back there. So I have had to come up with a way to get all the girls in the car in a way that none of them run out into the street/parking lot and get hit by a car. Grace is on the driver's side, Georgia in the middle, and Gwen on the passenger side, and here's how it goes: set the baby in her seat on the ground; put Grace in the front passenger seat and shut the door; help Gwen into her seat; go around to the other side and find a way to work the baby into the middle without too much bumping; go back around to the other side of the car and strap Gwen in; get Grace out of the front of the car and strap her into her seat. Then there's always the challenge of how to get them out and walk into the store without getting hit by a car. So far it's working out, but it is interesting.

Today's big errand was taking Georgia to the pediatrician for her 2 week check up (she is now 2 1/2 weeks old). She is doing really well-very healthy. She was 7 lbs. 10 oz at birth...3 days later she was 7 lbs. 3 oz...and she is now exactly 8 pounds (little girl likes to eat a lot). She has also gained 2 inches (although the doctor's office thinks that she was measured wrong at the hospital)...she was 19 in. at birth and is now 21 in. long. She has all ready outgrown the newborn outfits that we had for her. The only complaint that I would have is that she doesn't want to nurse. I have had a consultant over and talked to the same one on the phone and have tried and tried and tried to get her to nurse, but alas...the stuborn little stinker doesn't want to do it (the consultant believes that part of it is because she has a very tiny mouth). So, while it's made me depressed and I've felt like a failure, I've kind of gotten over that and moved on. I am pumping my milk and giving it to her in a bottle, so she is still getting that nutrition from me, even if it takes longer and is a bit of a pain in the butt. I'm still trying to get her to nurse, but we'll see how it goes. Other than that she has been my easiest baby and I am excited to see her grow and her personality bloom.

Gwen and Grace are doing good. Once again I was asked today if I had twins (he he he)...they are starting to look more and more alike, and since they are almost the same size, complete strangers will just guess that they are twins-until they hear them both talk (and there's an obvious difference there). Gwen is still a very funny little girl, although I could do without the extreme tantrums that she has. We're really having to watch what we say and do around her lately. Diana and Quinn took the girls for a little while after Georgia was born, and I guess they went to Burger King. While standing in line, a boy came out of the back of the restuarant (and Diana said he was a big boy) and Gwen took one look at him and said "He's a fat boy!" They're pretty sure that he overheard her. Oh, I can't wait to see what other embarrassing things she says in front of others. Grace is still my little sweetheart. She decided to play peekaboo with me the other day, and it was the first time I'd really heard her say an understandable sentence. She said "Where's da mama? Peedaboo!!" over and over. It was really cute. She is really starting to talk and is trying to learn her ABC's and 123's. Oh, and her and Gwen like to sit and pull each other's socks off and look for "toe fuzzies" (lint between their toes) and laugh like crazy when they find something.









As for Rob and I, we are both doing pretty good. We are both tired, but functioning as best we can. School and work are still going pretty good for Robbie, and I am still trying to adjust to a new baby along with everything else I have to do. It's been interesting. Robbie has been such a help though and it has meant so much to me when he makes sure that things are picked up so I don't have to worry about it the next day, or to watch the girls while they take a bath so I can have some "me" time (that's actually what he's doing right now) or making sure that I take a nap after the girls go to sleep because I have to feed the baby at 10 or 11 (when we usually go to bed). He is amazing and my love for him grows more and more each day.

Our family is well, and adjusting. I never knew it was going to be this challenging, but I welcome the lessons I learn and I know that this is what the Lord wants me to be doing right now in my life, and that Georgia was supposed to come when she did (why else would she come a week and a half early if she wasn't so anxious to join our family?). I am so grateful for my little family and for the love we all have for one another. I have been truly blessed to have such a caring and wonderful husband and 3 beautiful loving spirits as my children. I'll continue to give updates!!

2 comments:

Marj said...

Gwen reminds me of Diana and Grace looks like Missy. Maybe Georgia will look more like her mommy. Then again, maybe she'll look like Tracy. It will be fun to watch and see. Love ya all.

The Heiner's said...

Wow sounds like quite the adventure in your house.
I've been meaning to call you but this week has been super crazy!!! I haven't had any time to get anything done!!!
Sure miss you!