Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 3 & 4 Of The Cross Country Exodus

Day 3 started off a lot better than other days. Grace finally had her appetite back but Gwen was still pretty sick. Today was full of driving driving driving. We drove from South Dakota to Iowa. Nothing special happened. I do have to say that if we had not been able to get a dual screen portable DVD player I don't know how we would have survived this trip. Towards the end of the night Georgia seemed like she wasn't feeling well, but I didn't think much of it because she hadn't got the high fever like the other two girls. So we stopped to feed her around 8 or 8:30 and while feeding her my brother started in with food poisoining. So we went a little bit further to where my dad had booked a hotel for us. It was the best hotel we had stayed in yet. The girls went to bed early thanks to getting them in their pj's and feeding Georgia when we stopped (she stayed asleep when we got to the hotel and slept all night) and we got to bed early but unfortunately my brother was up all night...poor kid.



We slept so good that night, and the next morning we didn't have any problems either. Breakfast was amazing...in fact, it was the best hotel with the best food that we had all trip (from start to finish). We hung out for a while though so my family could get more sleep because of my brother having food poisoning. Gwen was feeling a lot better but now Georgia seemed to be coming down with it (thankfully not as bad though). We had planned on going to Nauvoo that day, but because my brother wasn't feeling well we decided we would skip Nauvoo and drive as far as we possibly could towards Pittsburgh. We passed through the rest of Iowa and all of Illinois without any problem and got into Indiana. It was starting to get a little late and we had planned on stopping around 8 or 8:30 to get a hotel room before Georgia had to eat again but thought it might be better to do what we had the night before and get the girls in their pjs and feed Georgia and try to drive some more. So we stopped, fed her and left to keep driving. My dad had wanted to stay in Elkhart, Indiana but we thought we would keep driving. Well, scratch that when Georgia started screaming the minute we put her into her car seat. She screamed for 15 minutes, gagged on her own spit and threw up everywhere. At least half of what I fed her.



So, we found a hotel, I washed her car seat with our dish soap as best I could, gave all three girls a bath in our handicap accessable shower in our handicap accessable hotel room (no tub sides...an adventure) put the girls to sleep, washed sippies, bottles and binkies in the bathroom sink with our dish soap and went to bed. Needless to say it was a late night...one in the morning late. I was really tired and worn out by this point, and I had broken down and started crying at least twice that day (one time due to the realization that I wouldn't be able to spend as much time at my Grandpa & Grandma McCauley's in Pittsburgh PA as I thought we were going to). What a trip...everything going wrong, bad days getting worse...would it ever get better?

No comments: