Monday, February 11, 2013

The Toothless Twins


Gwen and Grace, though being a year and a half apart in age, are so close in size (they wear the same size clothes and have for a couple years, and probably will for quite a few year more) that we are constantly asked if we have twins.  We get asked that every time we move, and every time we travel.  People are amazed that they aren't twins, because they look so similar too (I see an awful lot of differences, though that might be just because I am their mom).  In December, they gave everyone another reason to think they are twins.
 
About a week and a half before Thanksgiving, Gwen ran out of school, excitement oozing from her.  She finally had her first loose tooth!!  We were so excited for her, and told her to keep working on it so she could have a visit from the tooth fairy. 
 
She did work on it, but not as much as we thought she would.  So finally, on November 20th, I picked her up from school and she had lost her tooth!!  She had been wiggling it with her tongue during gym, and it had just fallen out into her lap.  When kids loose a tooth at school, they get a little tooth shaped necklace that opens up to hold the lost tooth.  Sadly, Gwen had been playing with the container through out school, and at one point the tooth had fallen out and she lost it.  Gwen was devastated because she thought the tooth fairy wouldn't visit her now.  We told her to write a note and tell the tooth fairy what happened, and the tooth fairy would understand and still leave her some money.
 
So Gwen wrote her a note, went to bed that night filled with hope, and woke up the next morning with a dollar!!  She was so excited she was just about dancing in place.  She has yet to loose another tooth, but we keep reassuring her it will happen.

About a week and a half after Gwen lost her first tooth, Gracie had a tooth become loose.  Gracie worked at her tooth a lot harder then Gwen did.  On December 8th, I took her grocery shopping with me, and when we got home she went to check on her tooth in the bathroom.  She came out with a bit of a bloody mouth, saying she had been working on it some more.  So I took a look, and it was just barely hanging on.  I was afraid that if I let her eat lunch with the tooth in her mouth, it would fall out while she ate and she would swallow it, and then we'd go through the same disappointment we did with Gwen with no tooth to put under her pillow.
 
So I told her to let me see.  I wiggled it slightly, got her a napkin, and went to wiggle it again, but had just touched it when it fell out into my hand.  Gracie could not contain her excitement, and kept declaring how me "pulling her tooth out" did not hurt at all.  She put the tooth under her pillow that night and received a dollar from the tooth fairy, just like Gwen had.  And just like Gwen, she has yet to loose another tooth as well.

The reason we call them the toothless twins is because they both lost the exact same tooth.  I have been wondering if it's common for kids to loose that tooth first, and that's why both of them lost that same bottom tooth, but it was still funny that within a few weeks, they had both lost the same tooth, and it had been both of their firsts.  We are excited for more lost teeth and more visits from the tooth fairy!!

No comments: