We have a deal with the girls that when they start Primary they can start having birthday parties with their friends. So Georgia was super excited last month when it was finally her turn to have a party. I asked her right after Christmas what kind of party she wanted. Silly me...I should have know.
It's all about Tangled!!
We didn't do any invites for her party, mostly because all the people we invited either already knew about it, or we saw at church and just invited by word of mouth. I wish we would have though...I saw lots of cute ideas for them!!
We didn't do any invites for her party, mostly because all the people we invited either already knew about it, or we saw at church and just invited by word of mouth. I wish we would have though...I saw lots of cute ideas for them!!
So I thought I had this really neat idea to make a castle wall out of poster board, then hang it up on the wall, then string multiple strands of streamers from it all around the room to look like Rapunzel's hair. While doing research for a few ideas, I saw that I wasn't the only one who had the hair idea, but it does seem that the castle tower was pretty unique (though I wish I would have done it gray and white instead of black and gray and get it closer to what the actual tower wall looks like in the movie).
Yup, our Christmas tree was still up lol.
I had wanted to do some ivy and flowers on the tower wall, but I didn't have time, so I put the flowers on the floor at the bottom of our tower.
So I found a lantern printable here: http://kapuschati.deviantart.com/art/Pattern-for-Tangled-Lanterns-208204405 I printed a bunch off, and instead of cutting out the design with an exacto knife and putting tissue paper behind it, like a lot of people had said to do on a couple different blogs, I decided it would be much easier to just color them. So I grabbed a purple marker (it was scented too...yay for grape smelling kiddie markers), colored in about 20, taped them together, hung string from them, and Robbie hung them from the ceiling.
I found this free banner here: http://www.supermommoments.com/?attachment_id=4907 I printed off a bunch of them, taped them to some string, and tied some ribbon in between each flag. Then we hung them up between the kitchen and the living room.
I also wanted to do some sort of Snuggly Duckling sign, like the one they have in the movie, for our kitchen cause I thought it would be super cute, but I couldn't find a printable version that someone had done. So I just found the best version of one I could on a google image search, cut it out, put it on some cardstock, and threaded some string through the top. I had intended to hang it from the ceiling over our kitchen counter that separates our dining area from our cooking area, but I ran out of time. So I stuck a cup behind it to prop it up, and put one of our Drops Of Sun flowers next to it in a vase, and lined up the food on the counter in frying pans (got the idea from someone's blog, but I can't remember who's). I also put little rubber ducks in various places along the counter too. Oh, and I made the jello boats I found here too: http://www.supermommoments.com/2011/01/tangled-party-decor-food/
Since Rapunzel's big talent in the movie is painting/art, I thought it would be fun for the kids to paint too. I was just going to print some pictures off of the internet and have the kids paint those, but then I found these little mini canvas pictures in Walmart's craft section for a $1 a piece, and I got those instead. I also found these really neat paintbrushes that Crayola makes now. The paint is inside the paintbrush, so there's no dipping and dripping water and mixing paint. You just push down and the paint comes out. It was perfect (and I added another Drop Of Sun flower for fun on the table).
All the kids really seemed to enjoy this part, and we couldn't believe how quite and busy it kept them. I would love to do this again at another party.
I usually do some type of themed pin the tail game, and I found this: http://ayameclyne.deviantart.com/art/Flynn-Rider-Wanted-Poster-194154458 Robbie has a big printer at work that is usually used to print large construction plans, but he got permission to print this off for the party (and one for Gwen's). I used glue dots to stick it to foam core, hung some string from the back, and hung it like a wanted poster from the column near our front door (you can see it in one of the pictures above). Then I printed this free printable off: http://www.supermommoments.com/?attachment_id=4906 and cut the frying pans out and we had a game!! Thank goodness for wonderful women who put these things up for free on the internet!! The kids had a blast trying to get Flynn Rider right in the face with their frying pan.
One of the other things I usually do at a party is a scavenger hunt. I had bought a bunch of paper crowns for the kids for the party, and a special plastic one for Georgia (since she was the special birthday princess). I was just going to give them to the kids, but then I thought how cool it would be to do a scavenger hunt with Flynn's satchel and Georgia's crown!! So I made up a satchel really quick with some brown flannel I had left over from another project, put Georgia's crown in it, made up a bunch of clues that went along with the movie (like Rapunzel and Flynn hide behind the counter at the Snuggly Duckling from the soldiers...you'll find your next clue behind a counter somewhere in our own Snuggly Duckling), and hid everything around the house. When looking for ideas later, I had seen some mom's who had made satchels for every child who attended the party, but that was just too much work for me to do, and I thought this would be just as fun. When the time came to play the game, I gave everyone a crown except Georgia, and told the kids that Rapunzel and Pascal were playing a game with them, and had decided to hide Flynn's satchel again, only this time it had Georgia's crown in it and not Rapunzel's.
The kids had a blast figuring out the clues and looking for Flynn's satchel. If you look at the bottom of the picture, you can see Georgia running around with her Rapunzel hair on that I made for her the year she wanted to be Rapunzel for Halloween. She insisted on wearing it for most of the party because she had to be like Tangled. In fact, the girl wears that hair for at least an hour a day. I keep trying to pack it away, but she keeps finding it and getting it back out, silly girl.
We also played another game that I didn't take pictures of. I had the kids do a relay race. They split up into two teams, and each team took a frying pan and an apple. Then they had to race to see which team could carry their apple in their frying pan fast enough to get it to Maximus. It was such a popular game that every time we had a bit of a break in between things, they all wanted to play it again. We also did a piñata, but I couldn't find anything themed to Tangled, so we just got a princess castle and used that. I gave the kids their goody bags right before we did the piñata, so they had something to put their candy in.
Georgia had so much fun with her friends. We like watching Kai Lan occasionally on Nick Jr., and one of the things we have picked up is "You make my heart super happy," and we say this to each other every now and then, and I tried to say it to each of the girls at least once a day. Well, watching her that day, my heart was super happy, and I am so glad we were able to do this for her.
Opening presents-it's Tinkerbell (she has slept with this doll every night since getting it)!!
Yay!! We really like do it yourself art kits!!
Robbie did the cake for me-what a man I have!! We had this idea to try and make a tower out of rice krispie treats, and put Rapunzel next to it, and do some flowers and a river. Well, Robbie got the tower made, but we didn't foresee how heavy it would be. We took a picture of it really quick before it fell off of the cake.
So we just improvised from there, cause we didn't have a lot of time left. Robbie put a tree on (an ice cream cone covered in icing), and wrote on it. Our friends said the crater where the tower was might be where some of the Magic Sunlight hit lol. We went with that.
Georgia gave us big hugs later and thanked us for an awesome birthday party, and that she wants a Tangled party every year. Let's hope that's the case...cause I am all prepared now!! Yay for a good Princess party!!
2 comments:
A mini marshmallow tower might have worked.
Yeah...we had used all our marshmallows to make the rice krispie tower, so we were out of luck. I saw later that someone made one out of a dowel, some donuts stacked on top of one another, and a cupcake for the top. I think if I had researched cakes a bit more ahead of time we could have done something different.
Post a Comment